from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A man hired to commit murder.
- n. Slang One assigned to carry out a ruthless task or a vicious or unscrupulous order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A professional killer.
- n. Someone who carries out brutal and unpleasant duties on behalf of another, such as firing dead wood employees.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person hired to murder or physically attack another; a hit man.
- n. A person who deliberately tries to ruin the reputation of another, often unscrupulously, by slander or other malicious communication, often with a political motive, and sometimes for pay.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who wields a hatchet, in any kind of work.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a professional killer
- n. one whose job it is to execute unpleasant tasks for a superior
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Priority case hatchet man for every LA chief of police dating back to Strongarm Dick Steckel.