from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A control gate upstream of a lock or canal.
  • n. A floodgate that controls the flow of water in a ditch, sluice, race, or channel.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice
  • n. a gate upstream from a lock or canal that is used to control the flow of water at the upper end


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.