from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A start before other contestants in a race.
- n. An early start that confers an advantage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An advantage consisting in starting a competition or task earlier than might be expected; given (or taken), for example, prior to the beginning of a race.
- n. A factor conducive to superiority and success
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the advantage gained by beginning early (as in a race)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.