from The Century Dictionary.
- noun That which serves for shelter or protection in winter; winter quarters.
- noun In horticulture, a covering or protection for young buds during winter.
- noun Same as
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun That which serves for protection or shelter in winter; winter quarters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun That which serves as a
- noun Winter quarters.
- noun The place where an animal hibernates.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Late in November, in clearing one out, I brought forth a frog from his hibernacle in the leaves at the bottom.
The Writings of John Burroughs — Volume 05: Pepacton John Burroughs 1879