from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To pass the winter in a dormant or torpid state.
- intransitive v. To be in an inactive or dormant state or period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To spend winter time in hibernation.
- v. (computing) To enter a standby state which conserves power without losing the contents of memory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To winter; to pass the season of winter in close quarters, in a torpid or lethargic state, as certain mammals, reptiles, and insects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To winter; pass the season of winter in close quarters or in seclusion, and generally in a torpid condition, as some animals.
- Figuratively, to remain in seclusion; pass the time torpidly or apathetically.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sleep during winter
- v. be in an inactive or dormant state
Waking from hibernate is quick, just 10 seconds on a modern laptop.
The fall and winter, when my mood can sometimes be uneven and I seem to want to hibernate, is not the time to try to get cover model abs.
In fact, this instinct to hibernate is exactly why we should gather together, celebrating life and family and togetherness, thinking about the best of the year gone past and making plans for the one to come.
Today, scientists simply use the word hibernate when discussing the physiological processes of bears that go to sleep for the winter.
A vaccine is a possibility, but vaccines may not function well when the bats hibernate, which is also when they are most vulnerable.
Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07: 53: 50 AM by sammy2fish », it must be something like the data sitting in hibernate, that is causing the problem.
I agree with kjpetrie, it must be something like the data sitting in hibernate, that is causing the problem.
Another way to hibernate is to 'Log Off' and then hibernate.
SmartSleep. prefPane Two years back, a feature called hibernate silently went into newer Powerbooks.
Tips for how to safely feed birds for those in prime bear areas include: restrict feeding season to when bears hibernate, which is primarily from late November through late March; avoid foods that are particularly attractive for bears, such as sunflower seeds, hummingbird nectar mixes or suet; bring feeders inside at night or suspend them from high crosswires; and temporarily remove feeders for two weeks if visited by a bear.