from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A clothes fastener consisting of a small blunt metal hook that is inserted in a corresponding loop or eyelet.
- n. A latch consisting of a hook that is inserted in a screw eye.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A matched hook and an eye (loop into which the hook can fit), used for fastening.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the small wire hooks and loops for fastening together the opposite edges of a garment, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See hook and eye, under hook.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kind of fastener used on clothing
Sorry, no etymologies found.