from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of thickening.
- n. A thickening or swelling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of thickening or making thick; the process of becoming thick or thicker.
- n. The state of being incrassated or made thick; inspissation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of incrassating or thickening, or the state of becoming incrassated or thickened; inspissation; fatty enlargement.
- n. A swelling out as if from fatness; a thickening.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is capable of exerting sufficient friction under the brush to ensure pearly whiteness of the teeth without injuring the enamel, whilst the camphor in it tends to destroy the animalcula in the secretions of the mouth, whose skeletons or remains constitute, as we shall presently see, the incrassation popularly called “tartar.”
Subsequently the antennae become thickened, two, three, or four of the first joints of the flagellum are fused together, the palm of the hand acquires a deep emargination near its inferior angle, and the intermediate joints of the last pair of feet become swelled into a considerable incrassation.