from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anatomy The innermost membrane of an organ or part, especially the inner lining of a lymphatic vessel, an artery, or a vein.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The innermost part of an anatomical structure, particularly a tubular one: the intima of a blood vessel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the innermost coat of an organ, such as a blood vessel. It usually consists of an endothelial layer of cells, backed by connective tissue and elastic tissue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and anatomy, an intimate (that is, an innermost or lining) membrane, coating. or other structure of some part or organ; specifically, the innermost coat of an artery or vein, consisting of the endothelial lining backed by connective and elastic tissue. The full term is tunica intima.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the innermost membrane of an organ (especially the inner lining of an artery or vein or lymphatic vessel)
Bryan Donohue, chief of cardiology at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Shadyside, calls the intima "the governing intelligence" of vascular health.
Atherosclerosis is fat build-up in the arteries and in the early stages it can be found inside the lining of the arteries, known as intima media thickness (IMT).
Múltiples artistas a lo largo del alto Manhattan abrirán sus estudios a la comunidad ofreciendo al visitante una intima vislumbre de su proceso creativo.
In the first paper by Kim and colleagues from Pochon CHA University, Korea, common carotid artery intima-media thickness (IMT), waist circumeference (WC) and visceral fat thickness (VFT - measured by ultrasound) were measured in 368 men with type 2 diabetes.
In one recent study, higher sodium intake was associated with greater carotid artery intima-media thickness IMT -- an accurate predictor of future cardiovascular events -- in people without high blood pressure.
Lorenz, M.W., et al., Prediction of clinical cardiovascular events with carotid intima-media thickness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Along with a layer of elastic tissue, the endothelium comprises what is called the intima.
Similar warnings can come from deriving vascular age from a CT scan that detects accumulation of calcium in the coronary arteries, or on an ultrasound test known as CIMT (for carotid intima media thickness) that measures the thickness of the inner lining of the carotid arteries in the neck.
Vi bereder plats för Barbro Andersson på vår lilla intima scen:
Increasing carotid artery intima-media thickness, or CIMT, indicates a build-up of fatty deposits, known as plaque, in crucial arteries to the heart and brain.