from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A device used to measure the specific gravity, and therefore the richness, of milk.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument for gaging the purity or richness of samples of milk.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An instrument for estimating the purity or richness of milk, as a measuring glass, a specific gravity bulb, or other apparatus.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A device that estimates the cream content of milk by measuring its specific gravity


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • (n): A graduated densimeter which measures the density of milk, from which the cream content can be calculated, as in skim, 2%, 4%, whole, etc.

    January 4, 2009

  • No, its not a gauge to compare how much comes from so-and-so's you-know-whats to fulano-y-tal's. Please, people. It is a type of hydrometer.

    January 4, 2009