from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An elected officeholder or group continuing in office during the period between failure to win an election and the inauguration of a successor.
- noun An officeholder who has chosen not to run for reelection or is ineligible for reelection.
- noun An ineffective person; a weakling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun colloquial A person or thing that is
helpless, inefficientor disabled.
- noun US, politics An
elected officialwho has lost the recent election or is not eligiblefor reelectionand is marking timeuntil leaving office.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an elected official still in office but not slated to continue
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
18th century - A person who had defaulted in the London Stock Exchange was said to waddle out of Exchange Alley like a lame duck.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.