from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or manifesting hope.
- adj. Inspiring hope; promising.
- n. A person who aspires to success or who shows promise of succeeding, especially as a political candidate: a group of presidential hopefuls.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Feeling hope.
- adj. Inspiring hope.
- n. Somebody who is hoping for success or victory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of hope, or agreeable expectation; inclined to hope; expectant.
- adj. Having qualities which excite hope; affording promise of good or of success
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of hope; having desire with expectation of its fulfilment.
- Having qualities which excite hope; promising advantage or success: as, a hopeful prospect: often used ironically.
- Synonyms Confident, sanguine, buoyant, enthusiastic.
- n. A more or less wilful, troublesome, or incorrigible boy or girl, regarded ironically as the rising hope of the family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or manifesting hope
- adj. full or promise
- n. an ambitious and aspiring young person
I don't listen to their music but I love them all … I'll miss Eric's acting! jean eric oppa, fighting!!!! will be awaiting for your return~~ in these two years, i will will definitely be saving up $$ to be at the legendary shinhwa reunion concert * hopeful hopeful*
Facebook tells us the amount of people using the term hopeful in their Facebook status has increased diabetically (ph) over the past couple of months.
Rose's Bulls may not have the makings of a contender without some assembly required, but they could cut the run of another title hopeful short.
Jess looks around at all of us, her expression hopeful.
KATHLEEN KOCH, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well Fredricka, President Bush in his radio address pointed out that in his opinion his new plan for Iraq, the troop increase, while it's in its early stages, he says its showing signs of progress, what he called hopeful signs.
When Deanna stepped inside the cave, Beverly glanced up from her patient, her expression hopeful.
He sounded genuinely surprised, his expression hopeful.
"I always use the word hopeful," Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said of keeping Pujols.
"I always use the word hopeful," Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said.
Sophomore Josh Morin (30-4 at 125) is also a title hopeful this weekend.