from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Likely to develop in a desirable manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Showing promise, and likely to develop in a desirable fashion.
- adj. Encouraging and inspiring confidence.
- v. Present participle of promise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Making a promise or promises; affording hope or assurance
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Giving promise; affording just expectations of good; affording reasonable ground of hope for the future; looking as if likely to turn out well: as, a promising youth; a promising prospect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing possibility of achievement or excellence
- adj. full or promise
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Across the divide, La Dorada shrieked at him, her expression promising pain.
For a title promising Manhattan, there sure is a lack thereof in the finished product.
However, investigators do say they are following several strong and what they called promising leads.
President Bush today applauded what he calls a promising sign of progress by Iraq's leaders.
It comes as U.S. military officials in Baghdad are touting what they call promising statistics showing a drop in violence over the past week.
He ran a music conservatory in their hometown of Dusseldorf, and his first rat-like, rodent-like behavior came as a-- a result of his bringing home what he termed promising, young, female students -- home from the conservatory for what were termed, with raised eyebrows,
Investigators pursued what they described as promising leads Wednesday in a chilling bombing attempt at a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade in which someone left a backpack filled with sophisticated explosives on a bench.
Mr. Brereton went home and dined with us; and after dinner the conversation turned on my partiality to the stage, which he earnestly recommended as a scene of great promise to what he termed my promising talents.
LOS ANGELES Hollywood Reporter - What's served under a label promising first-class
But occasional setbacks haven't kept Christians from getting involved in what they call a promising alternative to "classroom-style" Christianity.