from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A noncommissioned rank in the US Marine Corps that is above private first class and below corporal.
- noun One who holds this rank.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Milit., a private performing the duties of a corporal, with temporary rank as such.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A
- noun An enlisted member of the United States Marine Corps ranking between a private first class and a corporal.
- noun The lowest rank of corporal; -- a term used in the British military.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun US An
enlistedrank of grade E-3 in the United States Marine Corps, ranking above private first classand below corporal. Abbreviated as LCpl.
- noun UK A
non-commissioned officerin the British Army and Royal Marines, ranking above privateand below corporal. A rank with NATO code OR-3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an enlisted man in the marine corps ranking above a private first class and below a corporal
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From lancepesade, from obsolete French lancepessade, from Italian lancia spezzata, superior soldier : lancia, lance (from Latin lancea; see lance) + spezzata, feminine past participle of spezzare, to break to pieces.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.