from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An elected official ranking just below the governor of a state in the United States.
- noun The nonelective chief of government of a Canadian province.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An officer authorized to perform the functions of a governor in case of the absence, disability, or death of the latter, or in a subordinate governorship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Canada, government The representative of the
Crownin the provincial legislaturesof Canada.
- noun US, government The next-in-line to the chief executive of a primary political division of the
United States of America, such as a state, second to the governor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an elected official serving as deputy to the governor of a state of the United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.