from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The measurement of liquid capacity.
- n. A unit or system of units of liquid capacity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any unit of measure for measuring the volume of a liquid.
- n. The measurement of the volume of liquids.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a measure, or system of measuring, for liquids, by the gallon, quart, pint, gill, etc.
- n. the measure of liquids.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a unit of capacity for liquids (for measuring the volumes of liquids or their containers)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I always wondered why two pipes in liquid measure were called a hogshead; now I know; it was on account of their great capacity.”