from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being lofty.
- n. arrogance or haughtiness
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being lofty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being lofty or high; remarkable height or elevation.
- n. Elevation of character, sentiment, or feeling; the state of being elevated, as by high thought, or puffed up, as by pride or vanity; grandeur; sublimity; haughtiness; arrogance.
- n. Synonyms Pride, Presumption, etc. See arrogance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. impressiveness in scale or proportion
- n. the quality of being high or lofty
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I tell you mighty Westarwân, for all his star-crowned loftiness, is no King to me.
But the daughter of Theodosius submitted, without reluctance, to the desires of the conqueror, a young and valiant prince, who yielded to Alaric in loftiness of stature, but who excelled in the more attractive qualities of grace and beauty.
Theophylact: Or else, the lord of the house is the intellect, which points out the large upper room, that is, the loftiness of intelligences, and which, though it be high, yet has nothing of vain glory, or of pride, but is prepared and made level by humility.
Ah, let them still call loftiness of purpose and whiteness of soul the dreams of a theorist, -- even if they be so, the Ideal in this case is better than the
Republican manliness is not at odds with such unguarded displays of affect, for the "loftiness" and
He found himself indulging in the most petty meannesses, and following these with flashes of a kind of loftiness of mind.
And he was ennobled, as well, by the loftiness of thought and beauty he found in the books.
The loftiness as well as scope of Manhattans fourth Apple store may appear strange to some.
But there was no diminution in the loftiness of his feeling for her.
His head tilts up and to the left or right when he finishes a thought and that communicates a loftiness that sets him apart from us.