from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of the two rounded protuberances on each side of the ankle, the inner formed by a projection of the tibia and the outer by a projection of the fibula.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bony prominence on each side of the ankle joint.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A projection at the distal end of each bone of the leg at the ankle joint. The malleolus of the tibia is the internal projection, that of the fibula the external.
- n. “ A layer, ” a shoot partly buried in the ground, and there cut halfway through.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a bony protuberance on either side of the ankle.
- n. In botany, a layer; a shoot bent into the ground and half divided at the bend, whence it emits roots.
- n. [capitalized] In conch., a genus of bivalve shells.
Gunn, Norman, 1355, very probably has a fracture of the left internal malleolus, but has had no treatment for fifteen days and has not been X-rayed.
In fifteen minutes the ankle experienced complete absence of swelling and the medial malleolus ankle bone previously not seen became visible.
The microphones did not pick up the fracture of her medial malleolus.
The malleolus articulates with the talus in the foot, and provides joint stability.
“Parts of a left leg were also recovered on Tuesday, including a portion of medial malleolus.”
I was rotating the new hunk of leg when I noticed an irregularity centered in the shaft approximately five centimeters above the troublesome malleolus.
On the cart lay the following: proximal and distal portions of a left femur; a fragment of proximal left fibula; two fragments of left tibia, one proximal, the other distal, including the mangled malleolus; a portion of left pelvis extending from the pubic bone out into the blade; the talus, navicular, and third and second cuneiforms from a left foot.
Procedure Note: Patient removed right sock to display prominent 1.5cm diameter pustule overlying an erythematous region of approximately 10cm in diameter posterior and inferior to the medial malleolus.
He would end up with virtually a state of shock after all three main ankle ligaments were torn medial malleolus was fractured.
My sister sprained her ankle severely on Monday and came home with a humongous swelling over the lateral malleolus.