from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In decorative art, a space opening, panel, or the like, of an oval shape; also, a work of art filling such a space, as a bas-relief, or the like.
  • n. Eccles., the vesica piscis.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A gloriole or glory when it surrounds the entire figure of God, Christ, the Virgin Mary, or a saint with a large oval of radiant light. Mandorla is the Italian word for almond. When it surrounds the head only, it is called a halo or nimbus. It indicates divinity or holiness. (From ArtLex)

    June 5, 2008