from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nation's commercial ships.
- n. The personnel of a nation's commercial ships.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ships and crews dedicated to commercial, rather than military, purposes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ships owned by nationals of a particular country that are engaged in civilian commerce; also, the personnel operating those vessels. Distinguished from the
navy, which contains the vessels of war.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. conveyance provided by the ships belonging to one country or industry
- n. the crew of a merchant vessel
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.