from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small falcon (Falco columbarius) of northern regions, having predominantly dark plumage and a black-striped tail. Also called pigeon hawk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small falcon, Falco columbarius, that breeds in northern North America, Europe and Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small European falcon (Falco columbarius, syn. Falco lithofalco, or Falco æsalon). In North America called also pigeon hawk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of hawk; a falcon of small size, belonging to the genus Falco, and to that section of the genus called Æsalon or Hypotriorchis.
- n. A hardy, active pony, somewhat larger than the Shetland, found in Wales.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small falcon of Europe and America having dark plumage with black-barred tail; used in falconry
- n. (Arthurian legend) the magician who acted as King Arthur's advisor
The merlin was a type of falcon well adapted to a lady's purpose, and hawking parties were common among the Norman-English families of the neighborhood -- often including dames and demoiselles who flew their own falcons.
She, who never cared for any table of precedence in her life, even where the higher animals were concerned, would only undertake to remember that the merlin was a lady's hawk, and this only upon condition, that she should have one to sit upon her wrist like the fair ladies in Wouvermans 'pictures.
"Why," said Alleyne, "a merlin is a bird of the same form as an eagle or
"Why," said Alleyne, "a merlin is a bird of the same form as an eagle or a falcon.
I may soon delete the blog from my favorites. on August 13, 2009 at 1: 17 pm merlin
Just a question … on August 13, 2009 at 1: 19 pm merlin
In the five years since we came here, I have recorded eight species of raptor flying over the garden, including hobby, peregrine, merlin, osprey and marsh harrier.
Posted on May 08, 2010 under SF News | No Comment merlin, emma, north&south, dr who emma (2009. mostly romola garai), merlin (both S1 and S2), north&south, doctor who.
« Dr. Who and Torchwood | Plastic and Plush/good_fanicons: merlin, emma, north&south, dr who »
« Former Dr Who considers comedy: The Beatles And Their Music/Metal Bike Company: dr. who 302 shakespeare witch » takenote_icons: merlin, emma, north&south, dr who