Sorry, no definitions found. Check out and contribute to the discussion of this word!


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A cheese spaceship? Brilliant!

    October 20, 2008

  • I would call them all cheese graters. Plus the kind my mother brought home once that looked kind of like a spaceship. It had three legs that folded down so you could put it right over the bowl you were using and a kind of a hatch to put the cheese in. I tried to find a picture on teh interwebs, but I don't think that particular model was successful.

    October 20, 2008

  • Odd. My cheese grater at home looks just like your mouli grater. :-)

    October 20, 2008

  • Mouli (Moulinex?) was the dominant (or perhaps only) brand to make this particular style of grater, with the rotating cylinder, the cavity for the food and the pressing arm. Could be used for cheese, but more commonly used for other foods. Not so popular anymore, except in Europe.

    Whereas in my neck of the woods the "cheese grater" was and remains a simpler thing, with no moving parts. More like these.

    October 20, 2008

  • A cheese grater looks like this, rt. Or occasionally like this (although we generally use that one when zesting).

    October 20, 2008

  • Judging by the images that come up, it looks much like what we call a cheese grater here. Same thing, you think?

    October 20, 2008

  • My mother had a vintage one. I would use it to crush the sugared biscuits (no, not that kind of biscuit, the sweet, brittle kind) when she made cheesecake.

    Actually, I'm sure she still has it…

    October 20, 2008