from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A grayish-brown, swift-flying wild dove (Zenaidura macroura) of North America, noted for its mournful call. Also called turtledove.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grey-coloured dove, Zenaida macroura, that has a mournful call, native to North America
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a wild dove (Zenaidura macroura) found throughout the United States; -- so named from its plaintive note. Called also Carolina dove. See Illust. under Dove.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common American or Carolina turtle-dove, Zenaidura carolinensis: so called from its plaintive cooing. See cut under dove.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wild dove of the United States having a mournful call
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.