from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An implement of stone or other hard substance used as a pestle to grind paints or drugs.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A grinding stone, held in the hand, used especially for preparing paint.
  • n. A machine that mixes sand and clay for use in metal castings.
  • v. To defeat or destroy utterly (as in a sport or competition).

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who, or that which, mulls.
  • n. A vessel in which wine, etc., is mulled over a fire.
  • n. A stone or thick lump of glass, or kind of pestle, flat at the bottom, used for grinding pigments or drugs, etc., upon a slab of similar material.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The grinder in an amalgamating-pan, or any similar form of pulverizing and amalgamating apparatus.
  • n. An implement of stone or glass with which paints are ground by hand.
  • n. One who mulls wine, cider, etc.
  • n. A vessel in which wine or other liquor is mulled.
  • n. A prehistoric stone implement, so called because supposed to have been used for grinding grain. See the extract.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. German physiologist and anatomist (1801-1858)
  • n. German mathematician and astronomer (1436-1476)
  • n. a vessel in which wine is mulled
  • n. Swiss chemist who synthesized DDT and discovered its use as an insecticide (1899-1965)
  • n. a reflective thinker characterized by quiet contemplation
  • n. British philologist (born in Germany) who specialized in Sanskrit (1823-1900)
  • n. United States geneticist who studied the effects of X-rays on genes (1890-1967)
  • n. a heavy tool of stone or iron (usually with a flat base and a handle) that is used to grind and mix material (as grain or drugs or pigments) against a slab of stone
  • n. Swiss physicist who studied superconductivity (born in 1927)


Middle English molour, probably from mullen, to grind; see mull2.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
mull +‎ -er (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.