from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who is versed in philology. Also philologer, philologian, philologue.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One versed in philology.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A person who engages in philology (historical linguistics), especially as a profession; a collector of words and their etymologies.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a humanist specializing in classical scholarship


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • we love words, plus, it was the profession of The Professor Tolkien

    March 26, 2007