from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A sheet of water flowing over a dam or similar structure.
  • n. Geology A large sheetlike body of rock that has been moved far from its original position.
  • n. Mathematics Either of the two parts into which a cone is divided by the vertex.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The profile of a body of water flowing over an obstruction in a vertical drop.
  • n. Either of the two parts of a double cone.
  • n. A sheet-like mass of rock that has been folded over adjacent strata.
  • n. Nappe, the underside of which is not in contact with the overflow structure and is at ambient atmospheric pressure.
  • n. The ability of a liquid to "coat the back of a spoon" or the act of coating a food.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. Sheet; surface; all that portion of a surface that is continuous in such a way that it is possible to pass from any one point of the portion to any other point of the portion without leaving the surface. Thus, some hyperboloids have one nappe, and some have two.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A surface swelling out from a point in the form of a cone or hyperboloid about its vertex.
  • n. In geometry, a sheet; a separate portion of a surface.


French, tablecloth, nappe, from Old French, tablecloth, from Latin mappa, napkin; see map.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French nappe. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.