from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the univalent NO2 functional group
- n. nitroglycerin, especially as medication
- adj. containing the nitro group; such compounds tend to be unstable and often explosive
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Nitroglycerin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An element in some compounds, meaning ‘niter,’ and usually implying ‘nitrogen’ or ‘nitric acid’; specifically, as a prefix in chemical words, indicating the presence of the radical nitryl (NO2) in certain compounds: as, nitro-aniline, nitr anisic acid, nitro -benzamide, nitro-benzoic acid.
- n. An abbreviation of nitro-powder.
- n. It is also employed, very commonly but in regard to technical use incorrectly, as a part of the name of a compound which does not contain the radical nitryl (NO2) with its nitrogen directly united to carbon. Thus nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose (guncotton) are not nitro-compounds in the technical sense of the term, but nitrates.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Nintendo Gamecube was originally code named 'Dolphin', with the GPU being called flipper, Also the Nintendo DS codename nitro was ditched after development.
Some may conclude that anyone wanting to turn a profit in the restaurant trade should eschew copying the Fat Duck's celebrated menu, which boasts staples such as nitro poached green tea and lime mousse and snail porridge, and focus on more traditional fare.
The solution, after standing for about an hour, is poured in a fine stream into a large volume of water, by which the "nitro" body is precipitated as a white flocculent mass.
It is thus obvious that picric acid is much less explosive than the nitric ethers, such as nitro-glycerol and nitro-cellulose, and very considerably less explosive than the nitrogen compounds and fulminates.
Sometimes the pickguard of this vintage Fender is called a "nitro" pickguard.
(And yes, we know some of these things are fueled with alcohol and "nitro," whatever that is, but still ...)
Because of the movie "The Fast and the Furious" many people today think that the word "nitro" means having something extra on your car that boosts its speed. ...
the 600nitro throws a 900gr bullet at 1900fps. it doesnt use black, thus the "nitro" designation. the 4bore throws a 1750-1950 grain ball or bullet at 1350-1450fps with 400-600gr of Fg black powder
a suitable non-volatile or slightly volatile "solvent," such as nitro - naphthalene, di-nitro-benzene, nitro-toluene, or its homologues; products are obtained varying from a gelatinous consistency to the hardness of ebonite.
There, I enthusiastically produced hydrogen gas, sweet-smelling aldehydes and nitro compounds (not nitro-glycerine!) that had the unfortunate habit of blowing up in my face.