from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One that is first in rank, order, or importance.
- noun Slang One's own interests; oneself.
- noun The act of urinating.
- noun Urine.
- adjective First in rank, order, or importance.
- adjective Foremost in quality; first-rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective idiomatic
First; foremost; best.
- noun the most important person, the one who is
- noun someone who is top of a
ranking, who is ranked first.
oneself, being considered foremost, as by an egoist
- noun music the
singlethat has sold the most in a given period.
- noun soccer The main
goalkeeperof a team, so-called because they wear the number 1 on the back of their kit.
- noun cricket The
batsmanwho opens the batting.
- noun Used other than as an idiom: see
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a reference to yourself or myself etc.; `take care of number one' means to put your own interests first
- noun the first element in a countable series
- noun the first or highest in an ordering or series
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.