from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that is first in rank, order, or importance.
- n. Slang One's own interests; oneself: watching out for number one.
- n. Informal The act of urinating.
- n. Informal Urine.
- adj. First in rank, order, or importance: the number one team in the nation; our number one problem.
- adj. Foremost in quality; first-rate: bought some number one farmland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. First; foremost; best.
- n. the most important person, the one who is in charge
- n. someone who is top of a ranking, who is ranked first.
- n. oneself, being considered foremost, as by an egoist
- n. Urine; urination.
- n. the single that has sold the most in a given period.
- n. The main goalkeeper of a team, so-called because they wear the number 1 on the back of their kit.
- n. The batsman who opens the batting.
- n. Used other than as an idiom: see number, one.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference to yourself or myself etc.; `take care of number one' means to put your own interests first
- n. the first element in a countable series
- n. the first or highest in an ordering or series
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Those who supported the idea risked the wrath of the number one man in the air force.
I also want to say howdy to my number one fan—whether she wants to be or not—Kay Fraser!
Jake hit the controls that activated trick number one and vented a small amount of radion isotope gas into the air feed for engineering.
Possible Motives: Trying to get Lee to drop out so he would become the number one GTT pledge; revenge on Dr. Darity for threatening to close down the frats.
Envy: I would give just about anything, including possibly my soul, to run like Sherone Simpson ranked number one in the world for the hundred meters.
At 10:42 A.M. Pacific time, on Wednesday, November 30, 1960, Armstrong sat in the cockpit of the number one airplane high over Rosamond Dry Lake anxiously waiting to be launched in an X-15 for the first time.
His father, Harvey Bundy, had been number one in his class at Harvard Law School and served as special assistant to Secretary of War Henry Stimson during World War II.
Actually at that time, people were saying, ‘Look, Teacher Yao, maybe you should just choose the number one girl from the singles.’
After however many years of being Englands number one player?
His new hit show, Promise City Heat, about impossibly attractive NTAC agents taking America back from promicin-crazed terrorists, was currently number one in the ratings everywhere but Seattle.