from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The portion of the endpaper that is pasted to the cover of a book.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The part of an endpaper that is pasted to a book's cover


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The front pastedown and first flyleaf were glued together during a previous repair, probably during the 19th century.

    The New York Public Library: From Vault to Exhibition Gallery: Conserving Library Treasures

  • If you can't find a pastedown to match, you can use the rear free endpaper; it's an easier flaw to accept.

    Dear BiblioBull - Permanent means forever

  • The collation of the notebook is I-XI12 (132 leaves), plus flyleaves front and back (pp. i-ii and 265-6) conjoint with the respective pastedown end-papers, for an original ii+266 pages.


  • The front pastedown end-paper of the notebook bears the stamp of an early nineteenth-century bookseller and exporter,


  • Fleming (Ian) The Man with the Golden Gun, first edition, signed by Britt Ekland on title, bookseller's small sticker on front pastedown, original plain boards, dust-jacket, an excellent copy, 8vo, 1965.

    MI6 :: 007 News


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The part of a book's endpapers that is pasted to the inside of the front and rear covers.

    February 22, 2007