from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Needlework consisting of varicolored patches of material sewn together, as in a quilt.
- noun Something made of miscellaneous or incongruous parts or elements.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Work composed of pieces of various colors or figures sewed together, especially a combination of many small pieces of stuff, sewed together edge to edge, to form a curtain, bedspread, or the like.
- noun Work composed of pieces clumsily put together; anything formed of ill-assorted parts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Work composed of pieces sewed together, esp. pieces of various colors and figures; hence, anything put together of incongruous or ill-adapted parts; something irregularly or clumsily composed; a thing patched up.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
work, such as a blanket, composed of many different colors and shapes, sewn together to make an interesting whole.
- noun Any kind of
creationthat utilizesmany different aspectsto create one, whole piece.
- verb To create a patchwork from pieces of fabric
- verb To
assemblefrom a variety of sources; to cobble together
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas
- noun sewing consisting of pieces of different materials sewn together in a pattern
- noun a quilt made by sewing patches of different materials together
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.