from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two large pheasants, Pavo cristatus of India and Sri Lanka or P. muticus of southeast Asia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pheasant of the genus Pavo or Afropavo, notable for the extravagant tails of the males; a peacock. The cry is "meow" (like cats), "kee-o" or "iyaan".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The peacock or peahen; any species of Pavo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A peacock or peahen; a bird of the genus Pavo, of which there are two if not three species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very large terrestrial southeast Asian pheasant often raised as an ornamental bird
Home is an aviary, which is not sealed, where the 2-year-old that stands about 30 inches tall and measures about 48 to 56 inches from beak to tail lives with two peahens the female version of peafowl.
The peafowl appears to be curious by nature and they are allowed to roam free in most of the city's zoos.
A sign attached to the front gate of one home reads: "$1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals shooting or otherwise harming a peafowl."
Some peafowl defenders accuse peafowl haters of shooting the birds with BB guns and deliberately running over them.
He says he naively suggested a meeting to address the peafowl issue last year.
Pro - and anti-peafowl forces there are locked in a feud over whether the neighborhood, like the rest of the city, should allow some trapping.
But as more young professionals escape Los Angeles for the bucolic peninsula, there are fresh demands to thin the peafowl population.
By one estimate, the peninsula's peafowl population has grown to about 1,000.
In 2009, the peafowl gun death rate doubled to two.
"Whenever I hear a peafowl it's just one more reminder I'm not in Century City," in West Los Angeles, said Mr. Retz, who moved to the neighborhood 10 years ago.