from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The study of plants; botany.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The science of plants; botany.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The science of plants; a description of the kinds and properties of plants; botany.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun biology the study of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the branch of biology that studies plants
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Many readers who may be more or less familiar with certain species or even families of plants, will hardly have prepared themselves for a view of the phytology of a quarter of the globe, such as is given in outline in the interesting work now before us.