from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To smooth (metal) by rolling or hammering.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To repeatedly hammer (a sheet of metal) so as to shape and smooth it or create a decorative indented finish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make smooth or plane, as a metallic surface; to condense, toughen, and polish by light blows with a hammer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make smooth or plane, as wood.
- To condense, smooth, and toughen, as a metallic plate, by light blows of a hammer.
- To polish: as, to planish silver goods or tin-plate.
Russia sheet iron is a planish iron having a lustrous, metallic gray finish.