from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being positive; positivity
- n. The result of being positive
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being positive; reality; actualness; certainty; confidence; peremptoriness; dogmatism. See positive, a.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being positive; actualness; reality of existence; not mere negation; undoubting assurance; full confidence; peremptoriness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quality or state characterized by certainty or acceptance or affirmation and dogmatic assertiveness
- n. an amount greater than zero
- n. the character of the positive electric pole
- n. the quality of being undeniable and not worth arguing about
- n. the quality of being encouraging or promising of a successful outcome
But in the final analysis, the positive review simply in its positiveness, is displaying a passion, and therefore a reason to be passionate about whatever is reviewed, in this case, poetry, or poets.
"I imagine his positiveness is the secret of his success."
"I have changed my mind," he said, one evening, with that smiling positiveness which is so aggravating: "I am very much inclined to believe that Ben Craven did kill Clough."
Troth forbid we mistakenly use dogmatism to mean “positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant” or “a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises”.
“I saw the other one run off across the snow,” Bill announced with cool positiveness.
He thought it important enough that he advocated "the habit of expressing myself in terms of modest diffidence; never using, when I advanced any thing that may possibly be disputed, the words certainly, undoubtedly, or any others that give the air of positiveness to an opinion."
But he nodded his head positively, and the boys behind him nodded with equal positiveness.
"Mark my words!" he cried with abrupt positiveness.
"And we will," Billy rejoined with great positiveness.
"Nay," answered the old man with gentle positiveness.