from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of, relating to, or constituting a precaution.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Advising precaution; containing or expressing precaution.
- Taking precautions; characterized by previous caution: as, precautionary measures.
- noun A precaution; a preliminary measure taken for prudential reasons.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to precaution, or precautions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of, pertaining to, or serving as a
- noun obsolete A
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective taken in advance to protect against possible danger or failure
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But 69% of toxicologists rejected this precautionary approach to chemical regulation, and only 23% rated Europe's regulatory system, which is based on this precautionary principle, as superior to our own.
PARKER: We do have what we refer to as precautionary and recommended.
Anne Tarrant requested a police presence, which she described as a precautionary measure because of the events from the July meeting.
Bob Miller, the Kings' play-by-play announcer since 1973 and a Hockey Hall of Fame media honoree, is scheduled to undergo what he called a precautionary surgical procedure on
An additional short-term precautionary IMF facility may be necessary as a standing facility offering liquidity available under preannounced rules.
This is called the precautionary principle, otherwise known as better safe than sorry.
"The pilot wants to land here and make what he calls a precautionary cheek.
In IMF parlance, that makes the loan "precautionary" -- meant to prevent financial fires rather than douse them once ignited.
In IMF parlance, that makes the loan "precautionary" -- one meant to prevent financial fires rather than douse them once ignited.
During the financial crisis, the IMF did develop two new lines of credit called the precautionary and flexible credit lines.