from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A condition characterized by hemorrhages in the skin and mucous membranes that result in the appearance of purplish spots or patches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The appearance of red or purple discolorations on the skin that do not blanch when pressure is applied, caused by subdermal bleeding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A disease characterized by livid spots on the skin from extravasated blood, with loss of muscular strength, pain in the limbs, and mental dejection; the purples.
- n. A genus of marine gastropods, usually having a rough and thick shell. Some species yield a purple dye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, an eruption of small purple spots and patches, caused by extravasation of blood in the skin; the purples.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of gastropods, typical of the family Purpuridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several blood diseases causing subcutaneous bleeding
The eyelids often undergo extreme inflammatory and dropsical swelling in urticaria (nettlerash, surfeit) and in the general inflammatory dropsy known as purpura hemorrhagica.
This caused Henoch-Schonlein purpura, which is basically a vasculitis but they couldn't see a rash on her tongue that would've signaled it.
The Division of Rheumatology is also involved in extensive research into the causes and cure of autoimmune disease, including lupus and Henoch-Schonlein purpura.
May 4th, 2010 | Author: purpura, bleeding, Disease, Purpura: Bleeding Disease · Purpura is a bleeding disease in which the …
Fures privatorum in nervo atque in compedibus aetatem agunt; fures publici in auro atque in purpura. on June 20, 2009 at 6: 51 pm uphilldowndale
We examined patients 'petechiae, purpura, ecchymoses and more, and discussed the differences among those findings and what those might signify.
The serious problems included a blood disorder (hemolytic uremic syndrome/thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura) that causes blood clots and can lead to kidney impairment.
Two recent drug approvals, Vectibix for colon cancer and NPlate for a rare auto-immune condition known as immune thrombocytopenic purpura, are unlikely to become blockbusters soon.
On top of the asthma and allergies, I'd contracted a blood disorder called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
The serious problems included a blood disorder hemolytic uremic syndrome/thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura that causes blood clots and can lead to kidney impairment.