. . . but to those persons who take interest in the social habits, the architecture of the Romans in Britain, and their commercial resources, in may be worth knowing, that besides the great profusion of brick, which they may be supposed to manufacture near at hand, they used at Bignor the limestone rock (locally called malm) dug on the spot, for their walls, some of the Pulborough sandstone, very probably for quoinage, and, for their columniation, the Bath or Oxford oolite.
--Peter J. Martin, 1859, Sussex Archaeological Collections 11: 136