from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A Scotch form of ravel, 3.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Weaving), Scot. A separator.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • This attachment is also called a ravel or raivel; and folk-names for it (not in the dictionary) were wrathe and rake; the latter a very good descriptive title.

    Home Life in Colonial Days


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.