from The Century Dictionary.

  • To shore or prop.
  • An obsolete form of Rhenish.
  • noun An unknown hard mineral or fine stone, supposed to be some sort of marble.
  • noun A shore or prop acting as a strut for the support of something, as of a Congreve rocket.
  • noun One of the cross-bars between the legs of a chair.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun Scot. A prop or shore.
  • noun A round between the legs of a chair; also called a spreader.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A type of coloured marble from Belgium. Rance is red and often has white or blue graining.
  • noun Scotland A prop or shore.
  • noun A round or spreader between the legs of a chair.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word rance.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.