from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that catches or kills rats: Many terriers are good ratters.
- n. Slang One who betrays or deserts another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything which catches rats, especially a dog trained to catch them; a rat terrier.
- n. One who rats; a traitor; a deserter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, rats, as one who deserts his party.
- n. Anything which catches rats; esp., a dog trained to catch rats; a rat terrier. See Terrier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who catches rats; a rat-catcher.
- n. An animal which catches rats, as a terrier.
- n. One who rats, or becomes a renegade; also, a workman who renders himself obnoxious to a trades-union. See ratting, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several breeds of terrier developed to catch rats
- n. a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.
"ratter" -- superstitious Tudor sailors did not have cats on board as they were thought to bring bad luck.
In the Central and South American countries this snake is highly valued as a "ratter" and frequents human habitations without fear.
June 26th, 2009 9: 51 pm ET call your senators tell them too vote no on this bill. this bill is bad for the economy raise the price of goods and ship manafactureing job overseas. i can't beleive how every news station is burying it. it seem they forgot howtoo stand up too make this country great, but ratter kiss polical butt
On another tour, Cecil and Constance stayed at a boardinghouse run by a woman who kept a python as a ratter.
For the present, the German ratter has trounced its Irish doppelganger.
I had wanted a cat for a long time, having grown up with one, and now we really needed a ratter.
As for rats, they are far too big for your average cat: best to call in a good ratter like a Parson Jack Russell Terrier which can clear a whole Dutch Barn of rats in two shakes of a cat's tail.
More prosaically, a ratter out could get a one-way ticket back to his home country plus a big fat check financed through employer fines.
I am sumwot hobbit-like in dat i prefurrs to read about adbenchures ratter dan bean in dem if it mite inbolb dragons oar banditoes.
August 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm ohohes. i finkso you shud see yr Dr Tinycat sooner ratter dan layter; i finkso, yes.