from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Architecture A convex decorative molding having parallel strips resembling thin reeds.
  • n. Parallel grooves cut into the edge of a coin at right angles to the faces.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Decorative moulding of parallel strips that resemble reeds.
  • n. Milling on the edge of a coin.
  • v. Present participle of reed.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small convex molding; a reed (see Illust. (i) of molding); one of several set close together to decorate a surface; also, decoration by means of reedings; -- the reverse of fluting.
  • n. The nurling on the edge of a coin; -- commonly called milling.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Thatching.
  • n. In architecture, a series of small convex or beaded moldings designed for ornament; also, the convex fluting or cabling characterizing some types of column.
  • n. The milling on the edge of a coin.
  • n. In silk-weaving. See the quotation.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The grooved notch pattern on the edge of some coins.

    April 23, 2008