from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An animal or animals killed by being struck by a motor vehicle.
- n. Slang One that has failed or been defeated and is no longer worthy of consideration: "Many radio rightists betray a truculent nostalgia for the old foes who became their roadkill” ( Richard Corliss).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the killing of an animal by a road vehicle
- n. the animal(s) so killed
- n. a helpless victim
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The body of an animal killed by a vehicle on a road. Also used metaphorically.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the dead body of an animal that has been killed on a road by a vehicle
If roadkill is exempt, poachers have an easy way out.
In that area of the country, roadkill is part of the cuisine.
There's no regular German word for "roadkill" - it's an American concept, though I'm sure they run animals over on the autobahn.
Anywhere I've ever been, any "roadkill" taken had to have a donation permit associated with it, I agree with jay.
The technical term for an author whose book only makes 50% sell-through is "roadkill"; I think I'd have to look it up that my only book that didn't make 70% was the hardcover of my first novel.
The pundits described our party as "roadkill" that would be left out of America's new conservative future.
I thought your 'roadkill' comment was very funny, Mr N.
So he now watches it regularly. also told a guy at work and he watched 'roadkill' episode on tv and like the feel so he now has my DVD boxset so hopefully thats another fan for us.
And even if none of the "roadkill" had been killed by the participants, surely when a group of grown men are riding around New York City playing with bloody animals it is symptomatic of something in the "bike culture" that goes beyond simple stupidity.
I couldn't help wondering if at least some of the "roadkill" hadn't been alive before these people go their hands on it.