from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. In medieval churches, an often openwork wall-like screen separating the choir from the nave and extending upward to the rood beam.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A carved screen that separated the chancel and nave in a medieval church; it originally carried a large crucifix

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a screen, between the choir and the body of the church, over which the rood was placed.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A screen or ornamental partition separating the choir of a church from the nave, and (properly) supporting the rood or crucifix. See cuts under rood-loft and cathedral.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a screen in a church; separates the nave from the choir or chancel


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • The eight oak columns of the fan-vaulted rood screen stretched into out-curving branches crowned in a rich, leafy forest canopy, with here and there a face in the leaves.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.