from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large net for catching one that falls or jumps, as from a circus trapeze.
- n. A guarantee, as of professional, physical, or financial security: the safety net of a generous pension plan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large net placed horizontally beneath performing aerialists such as trapeze artists or tightrope walkers, intended to catch a performer who falls and to protect him or her from harm.
- n. Anything, such as a governmental program, that provides security against extreme disadvantage or misfortune.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a guarantee of professional or financial security
- n. a large strong net to catch circus acrobats who fall or jump from a trapeze
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.