from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the suborder Scorpaenoidei, which includes the scorpion fishes and rockfishes.
- n. A scorpaenoid fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the family Scorpaenidae, which includes the scorpene, the rosefish, the California rockfishes, and many other food fishes.
- n. A scorpaenid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the family Scorpænidæ, which includes the scorpene, the rosefish, the California rockfishes, and many other food fishes. [Written also scorpænid.] See Illust. under rockfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling, related to, or belonging to the Scorpænidæ or Scorpænoidea.
- n. A member of the family Scorpænidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fishes having the head armored with bony plates
From New Latin Scorpaenoīdeī, suborder name, from Scorpaena, type genus, from Latin, a kind of fish, from Greek skorpaina, feminine of skorpios, a sea fish, scorpion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.