from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A European seashore plant (Eryngium maritimum) having prickly, fleshy, bluish leaves and heads of blue or purplish flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The plant Eryngium maritimum.
- n. More generally, any of several species of plants in the genus Eryngium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a species of Eryngium. See Eryngium.
- An evergeen seashore plant (Eryngium maritimum). See eryngium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The eringo, Eryngium maritimum. Also sea-holm and sea-hulver. See eringo and Eryngium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. widely cultivated southern European acanthus with whitish purple-veined flowers
- n. European evergreen eryngo with twisted spiny leaves naturalized on United States east coast; roots formerly used as an aphrodisiac
Sorry, no etymologies found.