from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A secondary role.
- n. Informal One who plays a secondary role.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fiddle part in harmony to the first fiddle.
- n. The person playing second fiddle.
- n. A sidekick or subordinate, or the role of such a person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a secondary role or function
- n. someone who serves in a subordinate capacity or plays a secondary role
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The replacement at Pearl Harbor of the Banshee squadron for VF-52 and its F9F-2s was an unhappy surprise for the Panther pilots, who took no delight in the notion they might play second fiddle to the Banshees.