from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The awareness of the self as an entity.
- n. Shyness. A feeling of unease in social situations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being self-conscious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In philosophy, the act or state of being aware of one's self.
- n. An instinctive idea of a self, or element of cognition, subject to correction or amplification, and thus distinguished from objective reality.
- n. An acquired knowledge of a self as a center of motives.
- n. A state of being self-conscious; the feeling of being under the observation of others.
- n. Synonyms Pride, Egotism, Vanity, etc. See egotism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. embarrassment deriving from the feeling that others are critically aware of you
- n. self-awareness plus the additional realization that others are similarly aware of you
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If, then, self-consciousness exists in man, it necessarily presupposes an absolutely _original_, therefore _unconditioned, self-consciousness_.
Sharon nearly blushed because it was true, despite all this self-consciousness.
Sitting at a table among the food stalls, we ate oxtails in a bright green broth, still gripped by that displaced self-consciousness, a feeling of formality, even with each other.
The legal self-consciousness has profoundly changed public schools in America.
A “legal self-consciousness” has descended upon society like a “heavy lead blanket,” stifling even simple choices that people make in their day to day life.
I guess it was inevitable, the appearance of self-consciousness about the color of his boots.
It's this deepening self-consciousness, added to the vibrant dialect and descriptions, that makes Mr. Bhattacharya's novel so satisfying.
One aspect of self-consciousness is self-examination.
We know a essence provides us with self-consciousness.
I'm not supposed to be concerned about anything as silly as the condition of my skin now that I'm creating new life, but I'm not creating a new personality free of self-consciousness, and I'm also not creating a world free of reflective surfaces.