from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A match, competition, or examination that precedes the final one.
- n. One of the two competitions of the next to the last round in an elimination tournament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A playoff in the round with only four players or teams left, the stage before the final.
- n. A competition that narrows a field of contestants (semifinalists) to a set of finalists, for a subsequent final.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the two competitions in the next to the last round of an elimination tournament
"To reach the semifinal is a big achievement for our team under our circumstances," Hamad said.
Next up for Roddick, in a Thursday semifinal, is 13-time Grand Slam champion and world No. 2 Roger Federer, who routed No. 8 Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina 6-3, 6-0, 6-0.
The other men's semifinal is No. 1 Rafael Nadal vs.No. 6 Andy Murray.
The semifinal is played at the same venue where Pete Sampras won all three of his matches on clay in 1995 to help the United States capture its 31st Davis Cup title.
The semifinal is being played at the same venue where Sampras won all three of his matches on clay in 1995 to help the United States capture its 31st Davis Cup title.
Long ball boosts Gators Humphrey leads Florida from outside in semifinal victory.
USATODAY. com - Baylor floors LSU in semifinal upset
Brazil's Dante Gulmaraes Amaral smashes the ball against American Ryan Millar in semifinal volleyball match.
Greek woman sets Olympic record in semifinal hurdles heat
USATODAY. com - Koivu, Finland induce U.S. fold late in semifinal