from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A shaper in which the piece operated upon can be rotated and hence a (nearly) cylindrical surface can be finished.
  • noun One who makes, forms, or shapes.
  • noun In meta-work, a combined lathe and planer, which can be used, with attachments, for doing a great variety of work.
  • noun A form of stamping-machine or stamping-press for sheetmetal.
  • noun In wood-working, a paneling- or molding-machine for cutting moldings of irregular forms.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who shapes.
  • noun That which shapes; a machine for giving a particular form or outline to an object.
  • noun (Metal Working) A kind of planer in which the tool, instead of the work, receives a reciprocating motion, usually from a crank.
  • noun (Wood Working) A machine with a vertically revolving cutter projecting above a flat table top, for cutting irregular outlines, moldings, etc.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun One who shapes.
  • noun A machine tool in which a single-point cutting tool mounted on a reciprocating ram is traversed across the workpiece linearly. Shapers can generate various shapes, but were most especially employed in generating flat surfaces and keyways. The shaper is nowadays obsolescent, most of its applications being served by milling machines.
  • noun surfing A person who designs and builds surfboards.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a machine tool for shaping metal or wood
  • noun a person who makes things


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

to shape + -er


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word shaper.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.