from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A method of positive reinforcement of behaviour patterns in operant conditioning.
- n. The action of the verb to shape.
- v. Present participle of shape.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of forming or reducing to shape.
- n. Specifically The cutting and fitting of clothes; tailoring.
- n. Representation; imagination; that which is formed or imagined.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of fabricating something in a particular shape
- n. any process serving to define the shape of something
- adj. forming or capable of forming or molding or fashioning
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Her face seemed to recede in the darkness and rain, the disbelief and injury in her expression shaping and reshaping itself in the overhead light.
The more freedom in shaping is given to users (e.g. open source technology), the more knowledge is required to contribute.
So this is part of a process which they call shaping the battlefield.
The possibilities in "shaping" the latter kind of narrative have by no means been exhausted, although most published novels don't seem much interested in exploring these possibilities.
Apart from stating his belief that Europe should be more involved in shaping a new economic order where financial capitalism should be 'moralised' - which he sees as a justification for further political integration on an European level - Sarkozy also managed once more to give Turkey the cold shoulder treatment.
R-Prime will have a huge role in shaping the American legislative agenda (asserting their balance of power in Congress), and if they are able to stay true to their Contract with America and make a difference, they will be poised for a strong showing in 2012 and 2016.
Arguably, SCOTUS Justices have more lasting influence in shaping our country than do Presidents.
The cast on her elbow is finally off, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wasted no time Thursday swinging back at media reports that she is being sidelined by the White House in shaping U.S. foreign policy.
I believe the original White House gameplan was to give this issue to congress and let them take the lead in shaping the bill and by having their input and hand in its creation, it would be passed with the least amount of opposition.
He played an active role in shaping administration policy and he did so through shoddy legal work.